1. The most difficult part is getting up to sing in front of an audience for the first time - once you have achieved this it will become easier each time you perform!!
2. Karaoke and jam nights are great for gaining confidence! No-one cares if you forget the words or mess up the songs so you can relax, have fun and get used to singing in front of an audience.
3. Ask a friend or group of friends to get up and sing with you - pick a song that you can have a laugh with!
4. Don't worry about making a fool of yourself or how you sound - just have a go!
5. Choose a song you know really well - avoid tunes that are difficult to sing until you are more confident about your voice and performing in front of an audience.
6. Take a deep breath, exhale, look ahead and smile as you take the stage - even if you feel terrified this will help you look confident.
7. As soon as you get on stage relax your shoulders and clear your mind of everything except the song you are going to sing.
8. If you are really nervous, concentrate on at a point just above the audiences head or if singing karaoke concentrate on the television screen and your singing rather than looking at the audience!
9. If you know the song really well but are still nervous of performing in front of a crowd, then focus on an object slightly above the audience instead of their faces.
10. Find yourself shaking when you are singing? Then move around a bit - swing your hips and bop around - it'll help you to forget your nerves and make you look confident.
11. Got a really awful voice & know it - but still want to have a go? Pick a song that everyone can join in with, a track that is funny or make up funny words, pull faces or use props - you'll sound great & the audience will laugh with you - not at you!!
Article © Vocalist.org.uk